Don’t you love Facebook?
Facebook is a great platform to stay in touch with people: your loved ones, especially when they are far away, your workmates from your current or previous job, small businesses that you intend to support, brands that make you dream…
Facebook is also a source of frustration for people like me, who run a small (tiny!) business and try to keep in touch with their community.
The problem with Facebook…
My Facebook page has over 700 followers, and about half of them clicked the Like button after seeing an ad for “Crochet Courses and Workshops in South Wales” (yes, that’s my basic tagline!). So one could safely assume that if they follow my page, they want to hear about upcoming crochet courses and workshops, right?
Well, Facebook seems to have decided otherwise. I looked at my stats recently and it turns out that when I share my crochet events on my page to let people know about them (which is WHAT THEY WANT, isn’t it?), Facebook doesn’t show it to most of them!
Then how are they supposed to know when they could have an opportunity to finally learn how to crochet or master new crochet techniques? Does Facebook expect them to dig for dates on the Events tab of my page on a regular basis? As if people weren’t busy doing other things with their life?
A little help
It got me thinking, what can I do to help my Facebook followers see what they are actually interested in? So here are four ways to stay up-to-date with my crochet events. Take your pick, or do all four!
- Sign up for my monthly Crochet News email, which contains all the latest course and workshops dates, as well as some cool info about the crochet world.
- Bookmark my website and have a look around regularly.
- As mentioned above, you can check out the Events tab of my Facebook page at any time.
- On a mobile device, check/change your Facebook settings for my page to make sure that you don’t miss anything important (or anything at all)! The steps are described below and I will also attach a quick video to this post.
- Go to my Facebook page and tap on the three dots … in the top right-hand corner.
- Tap on “Following” (by default, you follow a page when you Like it).
- Make sure that “Get Notifications” is enabled.
- Tap “Edit notification settings”; this opens a new settings page where you should select “Standard”, then click on the arrow in the top left-hand corner to go back to the previous screen (your selection is saved automatically).
- Make sure to pick “See First” (the smartphone picture on the right).
I hope you find these tips useful and that they will help you find out about my crochet classes. And of course, you can apply tips 3&4 to any other Facebook page with which you want to keep up to date!
Let me know how you get on with this and whether crochet events start popping up in your Facebook feed!